The Palace was built on the wishes of the powerful Barberini family from Tuscany who wanted its construction as a headquarters.
From a magnificent residence with numerous collections, the Palace then became the new home of the National Gallery of Ancient Art thanks to its purchase by the government in 1949.
To this day, it collects masterpieces like the image of the Virgin and Christ from Santa Maria in Campo Marzio and the wonderful painting by Filippo Lippi of the Madonna on the throne and Child from 1437.
Amongst the paintings of the sixteenth century there is the Fornarina (Portrait of a Young Woman), a portrait made by Raffaello of his beloved as well as the works of Tintoretto and Titian up to the Giuditta (Judith) beheading Holofernes by Caravaggio.
A feast for the eyes and a not to be missed location for those visiting the capital.