Capitoline Museums

Piazza del Campidoglio, 1

Capitoline Museums

The history of the museums date back to 1471 when Pope Sixtus IV donated some statues to the people of Rome, thus the initial core of the collection.

Open to the public in 1734 under Clement XII, they became the first museum in the world to be enjoyed by all.

The first headquarters of the Capitoline Museums were at the Palace of the Conservators and New Palace on the perimeter of Michelangelo’s Piazza del Campidoglio.

The equestrian statue of Marcus Aurelius, a copy of which is found in the opposite square, and the Capitoline Wolf, symbol of the city of Rome, are amongst the most famous works housed in the Capitoline Museums.